Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Making Time to Write

I love the peace and quiet of the morning right before anyone wakes up. It's my time to think and write without any interruptions. I've taken the dog out to the bathroom and he's back to sleep. That just leaves me and my lap top to create the impossible! What trouble I could get myself into with those kind of thoughts.

I wish I had nothing to do all day that I could sit and write. I use to write non-stop then I kids. Three kids later I'm still trying to find time to write. Those precious mornings melt away so quickly. Ah, but I wouldn't trade those years for anything.

When I contemplated writing a book I thought there is no way I could ever write a book and besides everything has been written about. There are only so many ways you can rewrite Cinderella and in the end they "always" live happily ever after. So I searched and searched and after two years I find the best story. I was telling my son about it one day and he came up with the most off the wall idea for my story but that's the beauty of children. Adults no longer think as a child and while my son isn't all that young he still has a great imagination. I love it when he tells me about his dreams they are so like a Stephen King novel. The kid could make a fortune on his crazy dreams.

So now I have a great story and no time to write it. Yes, yes I've heard the speech, you just have to write for one hour every day and by such and such time you'll have your wonderful book complete. I recall reading a comedy piece by Erma Bombeck about time management. She talked of getting up 15 minutes earlier every day and what a difference it made. By the end of the week she had finished reading a book or had exercised every day and it only took 15 minutes. Well as the story progresses she decides to apply this same trick with everything and by the end of the tale she gets everything accomplished she wants in one day - just in time for the alarm to go off signaling a new day. Poor Erma had forgotten to schedule SLEEP! This would reflect my current situation. Too much to do and not enough time.

With school it's hard to squeeze in any extra time I am so busy. I barely have time to blog. I've got to come up with a better plan.

0 comments: