Sunday, March 14, 2010

Where is Spring?

Two weeks ago I rode my bike for the first time since November. It felt so good to be outside with the cold wind stinging my face. I gladly welcomed the what little sun there was, but it was enough to raise the temperature to 50 degrees. Now just a week later and it has snowed again leaving it too cold to ride. I was disappointed to say the least but spring is right around the corner so things are looking up. I can wait. I still continue to do my sit-ups during the week but it's not doing much good anymore. I need to ride 4 times a week and do sit-ups daily.

I have done little cooking and baking these days since I interviewed with the Univeristy of Utah Hospital. I made it past the recruiter and now it's a matter of time before I am hired on. The time spent interviewing is time I must make up at IHC. So I work 12-hour days, unfortunately this gets me home so late I have little energy left to cook much of anything. I did though manage to make soup this weekend and a batch of chocolate chip cookies. So here we go complete with pictures!

Chocolate Chip Recipe #3
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
6 tablespoons sugar
6 tablespoons brown sugar, firmly packed
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, sift the flour with baking soda and salt. In a large bowl cream the butter. Add the sugars, then add the egg and vanilla. Stir in the flour mixture. Once incorporated mix in the chocolate chips. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.

Although I give you the directions I wouldn't say follow them to the letter because if you've baked enough you know what order things are done. Here is the first picture.



Here I am adding both sugars to the butter. If you notice the recipe isn't a very large batch so we decided to make fazookies! My son loves these.

Here I'm adding the flour mixture to the butter, sugars and egg.









This is mixture after the flour has been added and the chocolate chips mixed in as well. As you can see it's not a very large batch as stated earlier.














This is a typical fazookie pan we used. I did not grease the pan nor did I add enough dough to touch the edges. Remember your cookie will expand and you don't want a mess to clean up. The other picture shows the cookies have baked right up to the edge of the pan nicely.


And ta-da! The end result... it's ooy, gooey and a melting mess which the kids love.

This is the part where I become frustrated as I take them out and shake my head. If you recall in my research the butter makes the cookies spread out and look like this; flat as pancakes and wrinkley like elephant skin. These aren't as bad as the recipe #1, however they are still now perfect. They taste just as good as the others but the look is not what I want. The search continues... I would though like to say if I find nothing at the end of my recipes then I will go back and start to experiment with the recipe from Cooking Illustrated until I make it perfect for me or in my eyes. I still like that recipe it was just too dry but the cookies set up nicely. It's my favorite so far. You know the word - NEXT!


0 comments: