Sunday, May 9, 2010

Time Flies

I struggle with consistency when it comes to writing every week. I know I need to write yet I get so caught up with other pressing matters that I seem to push my writing aside thinking “oh, there’s always tomorrow.” Then tomorrow comes and goes, still I have not sat down to type one word. Guilt can be so overwhelming that you push it to farthest corner of your mind determined not to let it consume you. That is where I have been the last several weeks.

My baking has been sporadic but still pressing forward. I have tried one more chocolate chip cookies recipe but like the others it seems to vary only slightly all tasting the same. I decided to try the dough enhancer in this recipe I had purchased from the recent bread making class I attended. The cookies were large, perfectly round with a nice flavor. In fact, when I asked both my children to try the cookies each came back asking for another. This is the frustrating part, the next day they hard with an interesting after taste in the back of your mouth. My son thought they were perfect for dunking in milk so I let them remain in my kitchen a few days longer till I could no longer bare the disappointment and pitched them. I have not tried the recipe again without the dough enhancer that will be my next attempt. I regret to tell you I did have pictures however they were accidentally deleted. None the less, here is the fourth recipe.

Chocolate Chip Recipe #4
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 eggs
9 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, sift together flour, baking soda and salt. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, sugars and vanilla until light. Add the eggs one at a time and mix until blended. Add the sifted ingredients and mix until well combined. Add the chocolate chips, blend well.

Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto greased baking sheet. Bake until lightly brown. Transfer to cooling rack.

The pizza crust quest continues as well with two additional recipes tried and failed.
One was made with bread flour, although it tasted like you were desperate for a quick-fix pizza and having no adequate crust you grab whatever was near. In this case it was a slice of bread or roll. I wasn’t impressed with the outcome.

The other was made with cake flour a very unusual combination. As I read how this recipe came to be, I discovered the best world-known pizza lives in Naples, Italy. And in Italy, they use a much finer flour in their pizza recipes similar to our cake flour.

The dough was extremely smooth nothing like the other recipes tried. The excitement was building inside me as I watched it rise. I took extra caution as I carefully rolled it out to the correct size. When it came out of the oven I cut a large slice for everyone to try. We stood around in a circle watching each other eat waiting for the first one to respond. My face probably said it all before anyone spoke.


I guess being an American I’m use to American pizza. The so-called Italian pizza didn’t do it for me. I’m not even sure how to explain the taste. It just didn’t taste like pizza in any way. It had a different flavor all in its own. For now we’re sticking with the Pizza Hut recipe until something better come along.

I had my longest, toughest bike ride ever! I biked 46 miles in the wind. Never have I gone that long before. It felt so good but when I turned around to head for home I could barely move. It took me three hours from start to finish. I was exhausted by the time I got home. I'm not feeling leaner the sad part is that I know better. I won't see any results until the end of the summer. It's going to be that long before anything happens. The pounds will melt off by then leaving me with a new transformed body! The hard part is lugging my fat ass around until then. I do sit ups but hate them and never seem to do enough that helps. I still hate my body!

My writing is sporadic as well, why, why, why?? Since January I have written a total of three pages. I stop to do research then never seem to get back on track. I feel as though I'm still taking baby steps wondering how long it's going to last and when I'll be able to sit down and right for hours. At that time I'll be writing chapters not a few sentences or paragraphs. Until then the process is slow even daunting at times. I recently checked out a library book Terry Brooks wrote on writing. He is a fantasy writer which I have taken a liking to something way out of my realm. If you haven't ready one of his books I strongly recommend you do. You won't be sorry. I figure I need all the help I can get. His book is straight forward exactly what I need to help me where I'm going wrong or what I need to keep me on track. Onward I go!

0 comments: