Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Maygan

My youngest daughter was a toe-head when she was a toddler. As she grew her hair turned darker and it's now a light brown. She always asked if she was adopted and her brother proudly told her YES! My sister has a daughter with lighter hair as well. We're not sure how we both had girls with light hair. I call Maygan my "golden hair surprise"from the 70's song. It makes me smile and think of her every time I hear it.

I always thought being the youngest was awful, then as I got older that idea changed as everyone older than me simply got older. I was always younger. I'm not sure if Maygan shares that same idea but I do know her older brother enjoyed having someone younger. The two were inseparable growing up. They were each others best friend. Maygan was a happy little girl in spite of me having to go back to work just four weeks after she was born. I hated that she spent most of her younger years in daycare when I should have been home with her. We made the most of our time together, the weekends were spent making memories. Maygan had the toughest legs on any three year old out there. She loved hiking with her momma. And I loved that she enjoyed it so much.

As Maygan grew so did her love for babies and Barbies, actually anything with hair. She loved to dress up her dolls, do their hair, then take them for rides in the baby stroller. She loved to play with my hair too, which was never a fun time for me. I have always been tender-headed and still am to this day. I would grin and bear it as she ripped through my hair with the comb. You cannot replace the ear-to-ear smile on her face as she fixed my hair. It was worth every strand of hair I lost.

Maygan has always been somewhat shy, so making friends took a little longer for her. She still has friends she keeps in contact with from when she was little. Maygan is a loyal friend, always has been. I admire that about her. It's hard to find your way in a large school, I know I wasn't very successful at it, which is why I went back to my hometown and finished high school. This seems to be the case with Maygan, she is attending a smaller school right now and thriving. She loves her school, the teachers and has many friends. She tells me how she is speaking up more in class, even talking to people she does not know. I couldn't be more proud of her.


My little girl is now 16, almost grown. She come along ways in many areas of her life. Some she is still working on but that's to be expected at her age. Maygan has so much compassion, especially for animals. She loves any animal and wants them all for a pet, no matter where we live. We have a puppy now that she use to dress up and fix his hair (poor thing). She has not lost her passion to create or try new things with clothes, makeup and hair. She wants to be a hair stylist when she finishes high school. More than anything Maygan is a fighter, if you tell her no she'll prove you wrong. She stands up for her family and friends and does not back down easily. She is tough on the outside and will give it all she has, but at the end of the day when she comes home, she asks me for a hug and tells me she loves me. She will always be a "momma's girl."

0 comments: