Saturday, December 15, 2012

The Cook Book

In an earlier blog I spoke of the cook book we would be using during our exploration of Green River, Utah. I took a picture of the book (below) so you can see what it looks like. The pages are tattered, some have detached themselves completely, but I have them all. As I perused the cook book, I noticed several recipes are similar, I doubt I need to make each recipe for you to see these are oatmeal cookies or whatever. If we were determining which recipe is the better then yes we would make each one but we are not.  


My mother used this cook book all the time when I was growing up, but as she got older she stopped cooking. I borrowed the cook book a few times but not until now did my mother ever let me keep it for an extended time. This is the first. I guess it's one of the reasons why I'm so excited to share these recipes with you. This style of cooking is not fancy by any means but it is good, hearty, down-to-earth cooking. Now days its all about flavor and how many different flavors you can have in one dish. The type of cooking I was raised on was nothing like it is today. There is nothing wrong with this, but the style of cooking I was raised on was all about simplicity. We did not eat dinners you could make in less than 30 minutes. Our meals did not come in the convenience of a box, nor were they delivered to our doorstep. Meal time was family time, when everyone pitched in to help make the salad, peel the potatoes, or shape the dough into rolls. We would talk about the day's events in between stolen bites of cucumbers and potato peelings flying into the sink. I wish I could get my teenagers to help me make dinner. They pop their heads in long enough to see if dinner is ready or not and that's about it.

Dinner time today is hurried along like a tedious chore, not enjoyed as it should be. How I miss those times standing next to my mother in the kitchen. I loved it when my oldest daughter (then two years old) stood on a kitchen chair stirring with all her might. Once the bowl of pancake batter ended up on the floor she was stirring so well. I wasn't about to get upset, it meant the world to me she wanted to help. My son helps me today from time to time but I honestly think he helps because his stomach is saying "feed me, feed me." It has nothing to do with him wanting to learn how to cook. Still this is why dinner time is important to me. It's the time a family comes together as...a family. To share, laugh or just eat. I hope the recipes from this cookbook will inspire you and bring your family together around your dinner table.

0 comments: