Sunday, February 3, 2013

BBQ Pot Roast

It's dinner time again! This recipe was chosen by my son- the meat eater. I handed him my grandmother's cookbook and said, "Here take a look, see if anything sounds good to you." It didn't take him long at all. He handed the cookbook back to me still looking down at his iPad said, "page 73." Okay. I took a peek then gave my son a puzzled look, it was BBQ pot roast. I asked him just to make sure he wanted BBQ. My kids don't like BBQ. "I'm sure mom," he said simply. BBQ it is then.

I have noticed that many of the recipes say you can use beef, lamb or venison. The beef stew I made actually called for lamb in the original recipe but like I said it told me I could choose. I never thought anything of this at the time until I started reading more about the history of my hometown. My grandfather, Alma Marsing, worked outside of Green River herding sheep during the winter. When they were low on beef they would have lamb. I guess this was the case for many families in the area, hence all the lamb recipes. When I was growing up my father went hunting every year, so yes I ate my fair share of venison. There are many recipes that call for venison too. This was my son's first choice until I mentioned we have no venison. I can recall the many times I sat alone at the dinner table because I did not eat what was on my plate- that being the venison. I'm sure I'll have to find some venison at some point so I can try one of the recipes for my son. 


Most would think that because Green River is located in Utah it was therefore settled by the Mormon pioneers. Not so in this case, Green River was deemed useless land by the pioneers. However in the early 1870's, folks traveling had to get across the river one way or another so GR started out as a place to restock their supplies. They named the town Blake City after the first postmaster. It wasn't until 1880 when the name was changed to Green River. In the beginning, the small town consisted of a general store, a ferry, the post office and three families. I try to imagine the meals I fix as being similar to what they might have eaten years ago. This helps bring me closer to my grandmother. Our menu is below;


Barbecued Pot Roast

Potato and Green Bean Salad
Feather Rolls
Ice Cream Sandwiches

















Pot Roast (Barbecue Style)
Recipe by Phyllis Bradshaw

5 lb Roast
1/2 Cup Chopped Onions
2 Crushed Garlic Cloves
1/2 Cup Beef Broth
18 0z. Can Tomato Paste
1 Tsp. Salt
1/2 Tsp. Paprika
2 Tsp. Shortening
1/4 Cup Catsup
1 Tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1/4 Cup Vinegar
1/2 Tsp prepared Mustard

Combine the onion, garlic cloves, beef broth, tomato sauce, salt and paprika. Pour over the roast and marinate 12-24 hours in the refrigerator (I did this process in a zip lock bag). At the conclusion of marinating, heat shortening in a skillet. Remove roast from marinate. Brown meat on all sides in hot skillet. Blend catsup, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, and mustard into marinate. Pour over roast. Cover pan and simmer 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

You can tell by the picture I did my roast slightly different. I browned the roast on all sides like the recipe instructed but rather leave it in the skillet I removed it, put it in a baking dish and popped it in the oven on 325. I made sure to put all the onions and garlic on top of the roast to allow those flavors to cook into the roast, then covered it and let the oven do the rest. The picture below shows my teenagers enjoying the dinner.


















The potato and green bean salad is not from the cookbook but it looked delicious and my kids wanted to try something a little different. The rolls are from the cookbook but similiar to the others I made for the beef stew so I will not go there. Both roll recipes have turned out great, they seem to just melt in your mouth!

After a lovely dinner my kids gathered round me as I constructed each ice cream sandwich. I believe they wanted me to succeed so they could devour the finished product. That's quite alright because succeed I did. The cookies were very thin making them slightly crisp. I made these the day before and put them in a zip lock bag so they wouldn't get harder. You cannot eat an ice cream sandwich with a hard shell. It worked too. The cookie was just right.







When my mother was growing up they had ice cream socials at the high school. I imagine them using the old crank kind of ice cream makers. Below is a picture of the high school she attended and a picture of her and her school mates. 


Green River High School 1910 - 1956
The high school had to be torn down because it was no longer safe for the kids to attend. My mother is on the third row of this picture, far left with the long hair. I love this picture because it reminds me of the time when I about six years old, I would watch my mother brush her thick, dark brown hair. I had a pixie hair cut when I was little. For some reason my mother and grandmother thought if I didn't have short hair when I was young then it wouldn't grow long and beautiful when I was older. Silly wise tale is what it was, I grew up to have very long, thick hair just like my mother. I would say good genes, but maybe that wise-tale was true after all.

From dinner to ice cream socials, I hope this pot roast recipe brings your family together at dinner time. And always, eat hearty!

0 comments: