Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Jell-O Salad Dilemma

In our beloved cookbook there are a total of 43 Jell-O recipes. I have to shake my head and ask myself, "What's with all the Jell-O?" I remember Jell-O when I was little, we were always eating it. My favorite was Jell-O 1-2-3. It came out again in the 1990's I believe but left shortly thereafter. I knew I should have stocked up. Anyway, I like a little Jell-O every now and then but this is too much! I checked online to see what year the Jell-O craze hit the market, sure enough Kraft/General Foods started manufacturing Jell-O world wide in 1964. That is the reason we have 43 recipes in the cookbook. Heaven help me.

Folks, in all honestly not one of them sounds good. Some have, no most have pineapple this or lime Jell-O that, to the point I closed the book. I do not like cottage cheese, carrots or shredded cabbage in my Jell-O. I thought about leaving it till later but I'm taking a chance and asking for other's thoughts. I feel awful I went on and on about my grandmother's cookbook now I'm stuck on Jell-O. What to do? If you have thoughts you would like to share please do. 

Lime Salad

1 Pkg. Lime Jell-O
1 Cup Boiling water
1 Cup Miniature marshmallows
1 Cup Pineapple juice
1 Cup grated cabbage
1 Cup Mayo
1/2 Cup Nuts (chopped)
1 Cup Crushed pineapple
1 Cup Whipped cream

The above not only has pineapple but also cabbage. If pineapple wasn't enough! Another recipe similar to the one above minus the cabbage called for morning milk. I'm not sure what morning milk even is? Perhaps this means milk fresh that morning, no day old milk, or milk fresh from the cow. I'm really not sure.

If this wasn't bad enough to top it off, Utah is the Jell-O capital as of 2002 when we were deemed with this lovely label. So I can't be dissing the Jell-O. I must find one recipe or a change of attitude about pineapple and green Jell-O. Until then I leave with a mission to conquer the Jell-O dilemma.

0 comments: