Friday, May 31, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes

I felt the need to resurrect my breakfast menu after my flop of an attempt at Scrapple. I had to show all of you that I can and do make great Sunday breakfasts.

We love blueberries in our home, so much I wanted to learn how to make the giant-sized muffins we all eat the tops off.  I have tried many recipes but the muffins never tasted right. You've all tasted a fresh blueberry right? It is not sweet, in fact it's bitter. When you bite into the muffin the batter is sweet but the actual blueberry is still bitter. I couldn't understand why the Betty Crocker muffin mix did not taste like this. There I stood one pouring the juice out from the blueberry can that comes in the box when it dawned on me "Hey this juice is sweet!" I know, I know, I guess I was having a brain fart or something. With my new found discovery I decided to put it to the test.

One Sunday morning the kids wanted pancakes (this was my moment). I put about 1 1/2 cups of frozen blueberries in a pot (yep the Sur La Table cookware) with some sugar, then turned it on low. I don't always measure everything so I'm guessing for 1 1/2 cups of blueberries that would be maybe 1/8 cup of sugar. You decide how sweet you want your blueberries. I also did not add any water because as the berries thawed it added just enough moisture to cook them.

Pancakes
1 Cup Flour, sifted
3 Tsp. Baking Powder
1 Tsp. Sugar
1/4 Tsp. Salt
1 Egg
1 Cup Milk
1/4 Cup Cream
2 Tbsp. Butter, melted

IHOP Pancakes
1 1/4 Cups Flour
1 Egg
1 1/4 Cups Buttermilk
1/4 Cup Sugar
1 Heaping Tsp. Baking Powder
1 Tsp. Baking Soda
1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Pinch of Salt

While the berries were cooking I made the pancake batter. I have two recipes (shown above), one I have used for years that my kids love. The other one is the IHOP secret recipe which I love because I like the flavor of buttermilk. The chemical reaction of the buttermilk and soda makes the pancakes rise more, the other recipe lacks the height and flavor.





When the blueberries had cooked down to where I thought they looked good, I drained off the liquid then added them to the pancake batter. The batter turned a lovely blue color. I was getting a bit excited imagining these melting in my mouth just like a warm blueberry muffin hot from the oven. I swirled blueberries around in the batter then scooped out some of the mixture. As I watched it land in the pool of melted butter on the grill, sugar juice oozed from the blueberries as the pancakes started to cook. I was not sure if this was a good sign, but I am here to testify it was indeed!

The blueberries gave the pancakes an extra burst of sweetness when you bit into them. And...no bitter taste!! I was so pleased. My teen-agers ate them right up. They even asked me why we never had blueberry pancakes before. My son wanted to know if we were having chocolate chip pancakes the following Sunday. I made no promises, I'm just happy they turned out.

The past two recipe failures humbled me so I am not about to shake my fists at the cookbook. It scares me. These recipes are like witch spells I have decided, one wrong step and everything goes up in smoke. I do not want to stop trying recipes, the goal was to share them with you and tell a little about my hometown. It has not turned out like I thought it would. Still I do not want to give up. I will persevere. I hope you and your family enjoy this recipe as much as we did. From our kitchen table to your kitchen table, eat hearty.



0 comments: