Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Farmers Market Basket

At the age of six my grandmother taught me how to embroidery. I loved it! I felt so grown up, just like my grandma quilting with all the Relief Society ladies. From there I moved onto other crafts; crocheting, knitting, and cross-stitch to name a few. Last year I made a bold move to stop making the traditional afghans and crocheted animals. I was going to branch out, so off I went to my favorite spot "the library" to check out books that were different from weekend projects I was so familiar with. I came home, arms loaded with books and a huge smile on my face.

There in the midst of the books were the instructions to the cutest little twine bag. I decided it would be my first project. I was finished with this little bag in a few weeks working on it in my spare time. It was so cute and tiny but was not good for much of anything because of its size. I adored the little bag so much I decided to make a larger one, one I could actually use, like a farmers market bag. Thus the project was re-born!

A year later I was still working on the bag! Ugh! The instructions state clearly to use two strands of twine, meaning torture on your hands. The smaller bag was managable but now it was taking me an hour to do one row. I felt I would never get the basket finished. With summer right around the corner I told myself it's now or never. I stopped reading on the train to work on my project, I ate at my desk or on a break and devoted my lunch to the project. It was amazing how many people were interested in what I was doing. I got allot of looks, questions and compliments. I was even getting faster at completing rows. By the end of three weeks I had finished all my rows and by then was working on the handles. Remember this project was a trial and error because the pattern was for a much smaller bag. Although I doubled everything I did for the larger bag I also added two rows of color on the bottom and the top portion of the bag. I also had to make up the handle instructions to accommodate the size of the bag (I think I redid it three times, before I got it just right).

The day arrived when I was finally done. I proudly showed off my farmers market bag to my co-workers who "ow-ed" and "ah-ed" telling me it was beautiful work. A few asked me if I was going to make another, I gave them the evil eye look. The idea of making another one sounded stressful. This one took me so long to make, I know I would quickly hate making another. Still it was a challenge but well worth my time. I now have a one-of-a-kind Farmer's Market Bag.


1 comments: