Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Body & Soul: Turning 50


It's that time of year again, the time I dread because I'm forced to smile and pretend I truly enjoy getting older (like that's ever going to happen). Why would I enjoy this? This is the time when things start to change and not for the better. Working at a hospital I hear it all day long as I ask patients "Is this procedure due to an accident or injury?" They smile and inform me it's just old age. Great! This is what I have to look forward to?? UGH! Is this what I want to endure for the rest of my life? Aches? Pains? Being careful what I do so I don't hurt myself. Thinking about it all instantly makes one feel depressed. And many elderly people are depressed, so again I ask why would I look forward to getting old? Turning 50 this month is not the welcome wagon. I wonder if anyone else out there thinks like I do or openly expresses how much they hate getting old. Perhaps I should just accept this as my fate and learn to love those wrinkles on my face? Probably not going to happen.

In honor of "me" turning 50 I have decided to do what my children think the worst- Botox! I went in a couple of months ago for a consultation visit to learn more about the procedure. As I spoke with the esthetician I came to learn things have changed considerably compared to what they were ten years ago. While I am still nervous about actually having this stuff injected into my face I'm going to try it. It's my birthday gift to me! I am going to take a before and after picture to compare the difference. I am also starting out slow and doing only my forehead right now. If I like it then I'll move to the area around my mouth. I am not interested in a face lift just want to slow down the inevitable.

The picture above is me before the procedure. I had a friend go with me and take pictures of me while I had 20 units of Botox injected into my forehead. I'm not going to lie it hurt. I think I counted eight times she stuck me with a needle. She told me I might have a headache for a few days after and she was right. After the headache wore off it was more of a dull pain but it has subsided now. I think my forehead looks a little bumpy but we'll wait to see what the next few days brings.
Right after the procedure
Getting ready for procedure  


0 comments: