Sunday, December 1, 2013

The Cookbook

Months ago I started a project where I explained
I was going to cook recipes from a cookbook that was my Grandmothers. The cookbook is 50 years old. In the beginning I thought it would be great fun to share all these recipes with you. It didn't turn out that way at all, in fact I seemed to have one problem after another, so I stopped cooking. I have never felt so disappointed. I thought and thought what I could do to succeed at this project. Time went on, I bought a house and we focused on moving and getting settled in. One day I came home from work to find my Mother busy in the kitchen making taco soup. It wasn't really taco soup, it had potatoes, carrots and other things. The only thing that made it taco was the cumin she added. My son asked me why I couldn't make meals like Nana?What?? I said you don't even like stewed tomatoes so why are you eating what she makes. He simply shrugged his shoulders and said it tastes good. All I could do was glare at him. I can cook just as good as my Mother I said to myself, as I stood there watching her move around the kitchen it was like watching my Grandmother all over again. She added a little of this and a little of that, never measuring anything. She would finally taste the soup and when her eyes light up that was the cue dinner was ready. I longed to have my teenagers excited to see what I had made for dinner.


Instead of being frustrated with my Mother, I decided to ask her if she would help me. She was delighted! In my last blog post I spoke of us ice skating on the river, but what I didn't share with you is the amazing chili my Mother made. After about an hour of skating we would all huddle around this huge pot of chili and hot chocolate my mother had made for everyone. Her chili is to die for folks. I'll have to ask her to make it so I can share her recipe with you. If it's not in the cookbook it should be.

Once again I am excited to share recipes from my Grandmother's cookbook with my Mother by my side. Stay tuned!!

0 comments: