Wednesday, January 15, 2014

A Letter Home - 1/15/2014

This section of my blog I call my therapy time but it seems to stress me out more I think. Perhaps this is considered the "work" I must put forth to help better myself. Not sure at this point. I started this section of my blog to help me overcome my feelings I have regarding my Father. Writing these letters takes more time than one would imagine. I often feel like I have little emotion while writing, even when I try to be personal. I still have doubts, yet I am still writing.


Dear Dad,

The new year came so fast, but then each year that passes seems to fly by even faster than the previous one. I hope you had a wonderful holiday. I actually took off this Christmas season to stay at home with my kids. I have not taken a vacation in over a year so I was ready.

Gayle drove up the weekend before Christmas and spent a few days with us. Mom always enjoys when she comes and hates to see her go. We all wish we lived closer. We went to see the play "White Christmas"while she was here. I was so excited to go because I love the movie with Bing Crosby and Rosemary Clooney. Gayle told us she had never been to a play before so instantly we were thrilled to have her come along. She loved every minute of it.

This was our first Christmas in the new house. We bought an artificial tree, seven feet tall on Black Friday. It looked wonderful in front of the living room window. We didn't put up any lights on the outside of the house but the inside was lovely between mine and Mom's Christmas decorations. Both of us together have more than we need. There were few presents this year but we were altogether laughing having a good time. We spent some time reminiscing Christmases past. My kids were surprised to find out how old the cartoon Chipmunks are. I told them Gayle and I use to lie down on the carpet and play their Christmas album over and over till we fell asleep. I found that same album on CD and we listen to it every year. 


Christmas was always fun when we lived in Green River because we would open up presents at home and then head up to the hotel to open more. A kid couldn’t be more spoiled than the three of us. The highlight for me was going to the firehouse along with all the other kids to wait for the arrival of Santa Claus. We would wait in line for hours it seemed. When he finally arrived I thought we would never make it to the front of the line. The thrill of sitting on Santa’s lap was like a dream to a little child. Then there was the huge Christmas tree they put up on Main street every year. One year the elementary students got to make the decorations for the tree. The best part was it being so close to the hotel. You could look out the window and there was the tree, so big and beautiful. That is probably one reason why I enjoy going to see the lights on Temple Square. The huge, beautiful trees remind me of the one back home.

While I was home for the holidays, Mom had spent some time going through old photos and came across some that were taken years ago at the hotel. I think the photos were taken one Christmas when we still lived in Green River. There are several pictures of us all sitting on the couch in the front dining room with Aunt Bess, Grandma, Uncle Warren and Aunt Shirley. I looked at the pictures for a long time remembering just how the furniture used to be arranged, how Gayle and I would slide down the banister and us girls roller skating downstairs on the dance floor. The memories just flooded my mind when I looked at these pictures. I have a picture of me sitting on Aunt Bess's lap when I was a toddler. The pictures sits on my dresser to remind me of her. I miss those days.

I hope this new year brings you joy, happiness and good health. Take care and I will write again in a few weeks.

Audrey


0 comments: