Tuesday, February 11, 2014

The Cookbook: First Recipe with Mom

A few weeks back, I wrote about my Mother and I making recipes from the cookbook which highlighted recipes from my Grandmother's collection. I wish I had all of her recipes but then I know they would not turn out the same because my Grandmother never measured anything. As a young bride years ago, I yearned to make bread like my Mother and Grandmother, so one day I called my Mother and asked for her recipe. The laugh on the other end of the phone peaked my curiosity as I asked what was so funny. She said "Audrey, I can't give you my recipe because it's not written down." The simple solution was to write it down I explained. Again the laugh. "Mom!" I was getting frustrated at this point. This time she informed me her recipe was a handful of flour, a circle the size of a quarter for salt and so on. This was not a recipe; no one cooks like this I told her. Yet they do and so I learned.

For the first recipe I decided to let my Mother choose what we made. She carefully turned the aged pages until she came to a an oriental dish my Grandmother use to make. My Mother told me it was one of my Uncle Jay's favorites. Grandma would make it for him all the time. Well that settled everything, Chinese noodles here we come.

Chinese Casserole

2 Tb butter
1/3 cup onions
1 cup finely diced celery
1 lb hamburger
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1 cup chicken broth
6 drops Tabasco sauce
2 Tb soy sauce
1 pkg chow mien noodles
2/3 cup cashew nuts

Sauté onions and celery a few minutes in butter. 


Add hamburger and cook till brown. 



Next add mushroom soup, broth, soy sauce and Tabasco sauce. (Mom pretending to be Julia Child)

Simmer a few minutes.


Place in casserole dish. 


Sprinkle noodles and cashew nuts on top. Cook in 350 degrees oven for 20 minutes. 


Here it is, our first recipe we made together!! It was so fun cooking with my Mom. I wish you could have seen us while we were fixing dinner, we get to laughing so hard. This was a fun time for both of us. Next Mom wants to make some cookies that my Grandma use to make all time when I was little. I can't wait! Until then, may this recipe bring your family together around the kitchen table. And always, eat hearty.

0 comments: