Thursday, July 24, 2014

A Letter Home - 7/24/2014

At the beginning of all these letters to my father I always explain that my father and I are not close. Recently I have had a lot of feelings it being Father's Day and then his birthday was this month. I sent him a card for Father's Day and for his birthday I thought I might call. I wanted to, but I never actually followed through. The thought of it actually made my stomach churn. After all these years you would think the anxiety would have faded. I guess that is reason why I write these letters. They are my therapy, my way of speaking out to him in hope of him not just hearing me but actually listening. Even if it's only on paper I feel some peace.

Hello Dad,

I hope you got my Father's Day card I sent a few weeks ago. For Mother's Day, Mom and I went to Little America and had brunch. It was amazing. The food was delicious. I have not been there in years but it was still as fancy as ever. Huge chandeliers, wonderful desserts. You should go sometime if you have never been there. I think everyone should go at least once to experience it.
I can't believe it's already the middle of July. I have been at my new job with the University for a couple of months now. It's been a challenge from day one. The work I do is not difficult but the processes and training are somewhat frustrating. The learning curve is always hard until you know what you're doing. Overall I do like it and realize things will get better in a few months.


The view from my office window is amazing. I even enjoy the walk to my building on campus. I have decided not to change my route once winter arrives. I am going to keep walking the same route everyday. It's not only a beautiful walk but good exercise.





You should see my garden, I am so proud of it. I wasn't too sure how well it would be this year not knowing the terrain. I took considerable time just getting the ground ready. I cannot believe how much time goes into caring for a garden. However, in spite of the ants, snails and birds my little garden has prevailed. We have already eaten all of the peas and shallots. Right now we are eating zucchini, yellow squash, cucumbers and some beans. Our zucchini plant is taking over the garden. I put it in the corner thinking it would be somewhat contained, but it's just out grown the corner. Those plants are like weeds, I'm so glad I only bought one. 

It was your birthday last week. I heard Gayle threw you a nice party for your 80th birthday. I hope it was a memorable day for you. I do wish a happy 80th year Dad. As always I hope this letter finds you in the best of health. Take care, I will write again in a few weeks.

Love,

Audrey

0 comments: